Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Leave it to science ..and shoes (ahem!)




9 March which is Day 9 of my IVF cycle, also known as CD9 as one of fellow journeyer Naf calls it. I met a lady same age, now residing in Chicago trying to have her 2nd child via IVF. She's also with Dr Lynn Burmeister.

Today is a bank holiday but our body functions doesnt stop for holidays and so is the staff at Monash IVF. They are really dedicated professionals working tirelessly to help people like us. We were there at 7.30am for my ultrasound. The sonographer (ultrasound professional) was still sleepy, so was I when I met her at the reception. But she was cheery and was really supportive throughout the experience. I was placed in a dark room with large equipment and a TV screen opposite the bed. She was gentle as she scans my ovaries looking for large follicles signalling ripening eggs. She mentioned the lining looks thick which is good news to prepare for the embryo implantation then she started on my right ovary - we saw 3 large black sacs, and she clicked on the perimeter of the black sac to measure if they were viable. So far so good. There were maybe 3 or 4 with one overlapping the other. She moved on to the left ovary, I felt it was pushing against the wall of some organ but thankfully the black sacs were as clear as day, there were another 3 which she counted. Then it was done.

Next I waited for less than 5 minutes before I went next door with the nurse to get my blood test done. As usual, my tricky veins on my arms presented a problem for the nurse to extract blood from me but slowly she got the amount she wanted and I was allowed to leave.

It must have been the feeling of wanting to be rewarded for the past week's efforts. We wanted to have a good hearty breakfast to mark the occasion but I thought I had "fasted" enough and I could now buy myself a pair of heels. Especially ones inspired by Jane Aldridge, the 17 year old blogger from Dallas, Texas. She is adorned with designer clothing and shoes. When your blog is called Sea of Shoes, what do you expect? I made my decision really quickly when I tried on a 3 inch high platform on a 5 inch heel. I was as tall as Alex when I stood up. It was all black leather and it had a sexy tassles as the T strap of the heel. The shoes were exquisite and they look great in skinny jeans.

No comments: