Saturday, March 7, 2009

Earth tremor in Melbourne?

I was lying in bed when I felt the vibration just around my pillow. It felt like one of those old mobile phone on its vibrating mode. I was drowsy from my headache, I didnt pay too much attention. But it got stronger and suddenly, I kid you not, the bed started to move. And we have a King bed with a huge headboard, it still shook. Within seconds I heard the roof tiles above me started shaking - the furniture and the roof seemed to be moving in a separate directions albeit small back and forth movements.

The first thing that came to my mind was earthquake, NO!!! we are not in the seismic zone. Is it a hail storm as it had been raining intermittently for the first time since last year in the past 2 days. I called out to my husband who was watching TV in the living area. He too felt it. But Koe, our miniature schnauzer was comfortably lying on the couch like nothing had happened - typical lazy mutt.

We found out later on the news it was an earth tremor measuring 4.7 on the richter scale. The epicentre was about 90kms away from Melbourne in the south, which is about 60km away from us in the place called Korumburra. After the news report, we look at each other and said "How cool!!" to have felt this experience.

I couldnt help laughing afterwards when I remembered he thought it could be the pressure in the water pipes underneath the house.

No comments: