Monday, January 26, 2009

Serving an ace




We got ourselves tickets to the Hisense Arena Day Session for the 3rd round in the Australian Open Grand Slam. With these tickets, we can watch the ground courts matches too - where there is no seat numbers so it's difficult to even get in for popular matches like the William sisters doubles match.

Anyways, we watched, at least Alex did (I went out for a snooze when the ladies are playing the 2nd match), 3 matches for the day session.
Juan Martin Del Potro (ARG) x Gilles Muller (LUX)
Alize Cornet (FRA) x Daniela Hantuchova (SVK)
Andy Roddick (USA) x Fabrice Santoro (FRA)

One thing I learnt is I have to watch a match played by people I know and care about. For example last year, I could only remember Nadal's match and for last Friday, the last match was the one that stayed on my mind.

Being there makes me want to find out a little more about the players. Fabrice Santoro is as old as me, been in the scene for more than 17 years. He's probably one of the few players who's a bit stauky, not lanky like most male players but he just doesnt give up fighting even though Andy Roddick was way too good for him.

Andy Roddick improved his game so well this Grand Slam and his serves are spectacular to watch. It's like watching a performance and keeps me on the edge of my seat. 22 aces - I kept looking at the IBM speed meter and the fastest serve was 217km/h - it was speed lightning across the opponent's court. Fabrice did not even know it's coming half of the time. I got on my binoculars to study what they were wearing -from their shoes, to the headband. That's the only way to keep me interested and awake.

No comments: