Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Oriental designs



I love LOVE oriental furnitures, when I was working in Hong Kong, I had the chance to purchase a couple of antique inspired pieces made out of camphor wood. I collected a wedding cabinet, 6 foot long side board, 3ft x 3ft coffee table, chinese treasure chest, 6 drawers tall boy and a few chinese lamps. When I moved to Singapore, I added to my collection a 6ft x 6ft 4 poster bed from Indonesia and an altar table. Being single, it's important to pamper oneself and live like a princess. The furnitures fitted the old apartment I was renting on 7th floor in Bayshore Park, it was airy with large wide windows and it was on big white tiles and white washed walls. It look like a retreat, so cozy to come home to after work and plant myself on my fabric sofas, stretched my legs on my big square coffee table and watch TV in the wedding cabinet. One day, I might post the image I have in my mind.

Over the years, after several moves when I got married and moved countries, I distributed my much loved furnitures due to space shortage. Hoping one day, I will make room for new ones. I sent my 4 poster bed and coffee table back to my parents and tall boy to my brother. I do miss them very much but at least they are within the family.

What I really wanted to talk about is this little desk organiser I bought from South Melbourne market for a bargain of $25. It's actually quite big, about 1ft length. It's skinned with dark brown leather, a drawer for my loose items and the open drawer has chinese script written all over it. The picture here doesnt do it any justice but it's really quite exquisite. Now I have to find a study table to go with it. Just a few things to get ready for our new home which we will be building really soon.

No comments: