Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Reconciliation lesson from work

Today I spent more than half a day at the office reconciling invoices. There seemed to be more invoices than the actual services received, there were different amounts that dont tally to the media plans, some were cancelling out each other. What's going on?
My first reaction to my boss was "let's just get them to tell us what's going on, we just dont have the time to match up the numbers!". Obviously taking the high road approach of clients have every right to demand for anything since we are the ones who are paying.

In the end, without really thinking too much into it, I focussed all my energy to wade through the details almost as if I was unraveling some deep mystery. I love numbers and analysing & solving complex work problems. I managed to reconcile the invoices after some time and it really made me feel good. It took me a long time to find this balance at work. This is one of the many triumphs I had after moving to Melbourne.

How I can apply this sort of "love my work" attitude to my personal life? Too many times, I gave up on trying to understand my husband or even analyse to solve complex home life problems. Silently I gave up and wallow in despair. It's just seemed easier to deal with the situation when I adopt indifference. That's why the first thing that I would do after an argument is go to bed and tried to avoid the problem by sleeping into unconsciousness. Perhaps as I would in work, I should just dive into the problem without thinking too much of what it would cost me. Study the details of the situation, conversation, argument, emotions, gestures to understand what they really mean. In the background, always knowing in confidence that I would find the answer instead of passing up the problem which usually is my very first reaction.

No comments: