Wednesday, December 30, 2009

God's response to Job


A shot of dawn taken in Yellowstone Park, the world oldest park.

Life is full of trials and tribulations - I had some this year and probably still experiencing them. On my fifth IVF cycle, I had a positive result but the HCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) hormone is low. HCG is supposed to rise during the first tri-semester to encourage the other two pregnancy hormone progestrone and estrogen to be secreted. My HCG reading on 21st December was 53mIU/ml and today it is 87mIU/ml. Normal levels should be at least 600-7000.

I cant help but think this is again a lost cause, my mind is full of questions again, shrouded in grief and anger. And I was reminded by the story of Job.

The typical world's view of theology is that God rewards the good and punishes evil. There seemed to be no room before in my mind that only God has the ultimate and divine discretion and mystery in allowing suffering for purposes other than retribution.

Job was a pious man, he was righteous yet he was robbed of everything - children, riches and even his own health. His friends consoled him and asked him to confess his sins even he has sinned none. His wife asked him to curse God and he maintained God is sovereign. His suffering continued and deepened when he was inflicted with boils. Then was when he challenged God and cursed the day he was born.

God responded to Job if Job had the experience of a Creator of the world. He is the King of the world and certainly not subjected to questions by His creations, including men. Job lacked the knowledge or the ability to fully understand why God would allow Job's suffering. In the end, Job's health and prosperity was restored in many folds and he lived to ripe old age.

I dont necessarily understand God's reasons for what I am going through and I may never will. But I do remember His promise "For I know the plans for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and future." Jeremiah 29:11

1 comment:

Esther Soh said...

God thought that Job was worthy of the devil's test. God placed all his bets on Job (if God bets). He thought that Job was dependable.
Likewise you, my dear friend.